I can’t stand hippies. Whenever one of those patchouli-smelling stoned morons tells me that their soy steak/icecream/whatever is better than the real thing, I usually tend to smile politely and then eat a steak just to spite them.
That being said, my wife and I have figured out how not only to fake the real thing, but to make it taste even better. Obviously there are a lot of recipes around the net, but this is our take. A video will be uploaded shortly.
1 cauliflower head
2-3tbs of olive oil
1 cup chicken stock
2 cans Northern White Beans
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
5 tbs sour cream
Spices to your liking: creole seasoning, salt, pepper, cayenne, ect
Medium sauce pan
Food processor (this is the game changer)
1) Wash cauliflower and chop off the green stuff and the stems
2) Boil about 2 cups of water in the sauce pan and steam the cauliflower about 12 minutes, until you can stick a fork through it with no effort
3) Heat the olive oil in the skillet and toss in the onion. When it is browned to your liking, throw in the garlic and cook together until it smells like Italy
4) Throw in the beans, then the chicken stock, and simmer. You want the chicken stock to be just covering all the beans. Get them beans nice and cooked. Mix in your spices to your liking. You’ll be doing a lot of taste testing as you move forward.
5) Throw it all in the food processor with the cauliflower, and MIX!!!! Put in the sour cream at this point.
6) Then, put it all back into the pot and simmer until it gets the consistency you want. The more you let it simmer, the thicker it’ll be. I like to simmer it on low, then turn the heat off and wait a few minutes.